View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
tompkins
Grade 1
 
tompkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 708
Ever been there? I used to live in Houston when there was NO racing in Texas and we went there on occasion.
FIRST night I was there, bet a LONE SPEEDSTER who broke on top, hugged the rail and widened down the lane
by itself. As I was about to cash, the objection sign went up, and from this trip KNEW it must have been
the place or show horse. Was I surprised when they took my number down, PARTICULARLY when I watched the
head on (the ONLY time any other horses were close to the REAL winner) and NOTHING HAPPENED. The announcer
said my mount crowded the three and he IF he did it was ON THE WAY TO THE GATE, NOT AFTER THEY BROKE!
I did not bet the rest of the night, but got to meet Eddie Arcaro up in the clubhouse.

I was a member of a club called the Sport of Kings Society and was picking up as many tickets as I could
carry out of ther to have trading material. We traded totes from around the world amongst our members.
Some drunk came by our table which contained a literal MOUND of tickets and gave us his condolences
(little did he know that we had not wagerd all of that!). As I was looking around for prized tickets
($50.00 ones), I came across a ten dollar bill which compensated me for the bet from which I was robbed.

On the other hand (SAMPLE ERROR), there are MANY Tracks that transfer too fast. When I followed
Oaklawn, ALL Louisianna Downs lines were transfering too fast. There are some that probably transfer
too slow (I am thinking Colonial in Virginina), but I KNOW that Woodbine, Canterbury, Emerald, Gulfstream
to New York, Meadowlands, Fort Erie to Woodbine, Philly to New York, Arlington to Hawthrone all transfer
too quickly. I have gotten burned so often that I have a procedure (NOT FOOLPROOF MIND YOU) to compensate
for a known "too fast transfer" line. Go back in the pp's and find a line IN FORM, with same projected
style as is normal for the horse. TRY to find one from today's race track (or another one you KNOW not
to be too fast) and use it as a comparative to the line you think is too fast. Another problem you
often see is when there is a prolonged period of VERY HIGH track variants (usually from bad weather).
I know I recnetly warned a friend in Toronto NOT to use any WOODBINE lines from mid November through
the last day of the 2005 meeting as the variants are all up in the high twenties and thirties, so
make sure to give yourself a quick check on that screen as well (think it is F2). Try and find some
COMMONALITY in order to get a handle on what this horse has been capable of performing on a surface
CLOSE to or the same as today's.
__________________
velocititian
tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote