View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 678
Mnr r9 5/03

For this race there was an overlay in the place and show pools.
This is based on a small amount bet to place and show for specific horses
vs the total amount bet in those pools (For all horses) This concept is clearly explained in
"Money Secrets at the Racetrack" by Barry Meadow.

There was a huge ratio in the show pools for the 4 and 7 horses. Specifically
about 30:1 to 40:1. I.E Total Show Pool / Show pool for (4 & 7) = 30:1 to 40:1.
I did not have enough time to take a screen shot of the show pool but I
had the 4 and 7 to show. (Result Chart below)
Didn't bet to win though. (The 4 won at a nice price).
Both these horses were in my top 5 RDSS contenders.

For me the horse has to be in my top 5 to consider this
type of wager. This is definitly an uncommon event as
I usually track the show pools for these overlays and I think a 10:1 ratio is very good.

I find that this is a good strategy to mitigate your losses on
your win bets. I recall that the good doctor mentioned this strategy in one
of the "Follow Ups" but I cannot cite the issue #.

Thought this would be interesting to post.

Ernie
Attached Images
 
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote