View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
reckless
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: near Philadelphia Park
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpokesman View Post
You mentioning your being licensed reminded me of my own test administered by Bill Hartack. Believe it or not, one of the things I am most proud of about being an agent is that I was certified by Bill Hartack. We truly lost a legend when Bill passed away.


Hi Spokesman:

Yes, Bill Hartack was a great great rider and a legend of racing. I met him a few years back when he did tour or two as a steward at Delaware Park.

He had ice water flowing through his veins and some old newspaper guys told me that he really did resent never getting the same kind of attributes for his riding skill as they gave Willie Shoemaker.

I don't know nor think if there was any animosity between the two Bills but Hartack often corrected people who called him Willie. "It's Bill Hartack, not Willie," he'd often correct people.

He replaced Shoemaker on little Northern Dancer and the Canadien-bred went on to win the Derby and Preakness, as I am sure most on this board knows already.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote