|
I learned many years ago while playing the horses during a two week vacation in Las Vegas just how important the psychological aspects of the game are. I came to grips with this concept and finally understood that while others were frantically gambling as if there was a fire sale, I needed to go against this impulse and patiently look at what I was there to do which was to win races and money. To do this I had to understand where my strengths and my weaknesses were. My record keeping would be the key to seeing this clearly. However that was only the first step. I needed to adapt to my new creed which consisted of one fundamental statement:
"CONSISTENCY, PATIENCE AND DISCIPLINE ARE THE KEYS TO SUCCESS"
I knew where the profits were however I needed to map out the plan that would eliminate the distractions that were costing me money. I focused solely on these winning opportunities and passed the lesser opportunities regardless of how enticing or intriguing the bet looked. I knew and my records supported my thinking that no matter what the short term potential appeared to be, that if I continued to risk my money on these races I would lose long term and overwhelm the positive outcomes that I was getting in this smaller but more reliable number of races.
When one sees results discipline becomes easier. It is when you don't know your strengths and weaknesses that you become susceptible to panic and grasping for the latest scheme or idea. These other strategies may work for others but it may not be a fit for you.
I know that this is a horse racing forum, but a few years ago I embraced poker with a passion similar to horse racing. I became a winner at the game in only 6 months, but it took awhile longer before I applied the lessons learned all those years ago in Las Vegas with the methodology and identified the games and situations where I played my best. Although I was winning more than half of my sessions with modest profits, I now win more than 60 percent of the time I sit at the table with higher, more consistent profits because I have limited my play to the games and levels that I am most successful at according to my records. There are few people I know in Atlantic City who can match that level of consistency. They may play higher stakes or more challenging opponenents, but that does not guarantee success or consistency. If the seventh best player in the world sits at a table with the six best players he is reduced to a rank amateur, while he can become a millionaire if he uses his skills in the right spot.
What works for you is not the same as what works for someone else. I can only tell you that you must work hard and keep records of your successes and failures and to be honest with yourself at all times. You are only in competition with yourself and not others in this forum, and it is only yourself that you need to learn to become the master of.
Neil
|