View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
David,

It's based on the so-called Dream Race concept: best Call1, Call2 and Final Call times of the horse (i.e. NOT pace of race) of the set of pacelines selected, expressed in units resembling beaten lengths. Thus, the line with fastest first call will show BL = 0 (red) and other lines will show greater than 0.

A horse who can set the pace at BOTH the 1st and 2nd calls (or very near to it) is a horse I will never overlook regardless of how low its Total Energy might be, i.e. when I eliminate lower TE horses to get a reasonable set of contenders (e.g. 5 lines), I want to know if anyone displayed such a profile, and I may choose to retain it in favour of a horse with better TE. They are the horse to catch. They may not have what it takes to finish first, but they will affect the pace and may remain in-the-money.

Similarly, using a set of lines for a single horse can reveal improvement to the 2nd call point: sometimes all you need to know in the case of maidens or lightly raced horses. In fact, I think this readout belongs as one of those shown for EACH horse itself, as it is can be a good aid in observing form cycles.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline