View Single Post
Old 05-08-2023, 06:19 PM   #5
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
I have tons of Trackmaster SPECULATOR cards going back a long way, but I doubt they are the same that work in RDSS.
Hi Tim,

They are not. The RDSS files are locked and you can't get into them except with a password.

The thing I loved best about Speculator was the files that I bought, I was able to use. I wrote many C++ programs to parse those files and look for patterns or the validity of angles. It was pretty easy to do.

When I tried to do the same with the trackmaster files that I purchased and downloaded and used in RDSS, trackmaster acted like I was a criminal for wanting to use the files I purchased from them. When I explained that I wanted to test an idea I had for making a class rating independent of what RDSS has, they said I could buy the files a second time without the password block.

For everyone that knows computers: Yes, I know RDSS uses the basic Windows encryption for the files, and yes, I know I can easily get cracking tools off of the web to access the files. The problem is that if I did this, and wanted to get new info going forward, I would have to do more business with trackmaster, and I do not think they are very ethical based on this last interaction with them.

I now get files from Brisnet for doing my own research.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote