View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #66
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl97 View Post
RDSS was having issues yesterday too. I did the registration thing and it worked for a while and I do it again. I kept getting a gray screen after making a selection and then it would crash. "Sometimes" if I waited long enough the gray screen would disappear allowing me to continue on. I'm no expert but could rdss be crashing due to a time-out (data not arriving fast enough).

Regardless of the crash, rdss has been very slow like something is overloaded.

I don't think the internet is a problem because I stream video on my computer all the time.

Does rdss have this problem when there aren't may people using it?
Yes, as described earlier, RDSS is timing out when waiting for a response from the TwinSpries server on its periodic requests for scratch/change info (which the user cannot switch off, unlike the Tote enabled/disabled setting). This problem occurs for some and not for others (as reported above, and in emails). But of the many thousands of hits per minute that TS server is receiving, if ALL RDSS users hit it in the same minute (this never happens), it would be a drop in the bucket.

That's not the problem. Though if people keep suggesting their various ideas or combinations of workaround ideas, I will try to get to the bottom of it while I work on an update.

Also - if anyone is RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY having no issues with RDSS slowness or is successfully using the re-registration workaround - would like to contact me privately, I would be happy to try to understand what is unique about their setup while others continue to have problems (presuming those having problems are actually following the workaround instructions correctly).

"Ted: why don't you just issue an update and be done with it!? "
"Me: as soon as I can."

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline