Pace and Cap  - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up

Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up (http://paceandcap.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://paceandcap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Laptop recommendations (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10475)

turtleman 05-29-2016 06:32 PM

Laptop recommendations
 
Hi fellow cappers
I was going to purchase the software to run RDSS on my Mac, but have decided to get an inexpensive lap top with
Windows 10 already installed. I am not a computer guy,so was looking for advise on what requirements i should be looking for to best run RDSS, and also accommodate future
updates. Looking to spend under 500.00

Thanks!

MikeB 05-29-2016 10:12 PM

Are size and weight a consideration?

I recently bought a Lenovo, pretty plain vanilla, with Win 10. No problems, does everything I want (I am not a power user or a gamer or a geek), about $300 at Best Buy. As I remember, 2 gig memory, 160 gig HD.

I see a lot of guys at the track with tablets or whatever. This one would be too large and heavy for that kind of use. About a 15" screen and weighs about 5 pounds. The screen is large enough to view RDSS comfortably.

Bill V. 05-29-2016 11:07 PM

same
 
Hey MikeB

It sounds like we have the same machine. I got mine at wally world
It looks a little odd with such a big screen compared to the tablet and nextbook users, But I use the Lenovo for RDSS and it works great

Bill

turtleman 05-30-2016 12:42 AM

Size doesn't matter
 
I had kind of ruled out the Lenovo because I did not realize you could get it with window's 10. Reviews say it is basic but secure and has good battery life. I like the idea of the larger screen, and all I care about is that it run's RDSS well.

thanks for the help
Tom

Hoof 11 05-30-2016 06:06 AM

RDSS does not require a lot of horsepower to run properly, it is not a taxing program. You can basically run it on anything that is Windows based as long as the device allows legacy programs, avoid anything with Windows RT. Like MikeB mentioned, i would go with a minimum of 2 gigs of ram and Windows 10.

In the end, it would come down to what screen size you are comfortable with, that and the battery life. I run RDSS on an 8” tablet with very little horsepower for the handful of times that i go to the track, and it works great.

MikeB 05-30-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleman (Post 104141)
I had kind of ruled out the Lenovo because I did not realize you could get it with window's 10. Reviews say it is basic but secure and has good battery life. I like the idea of the larger screen, and all I care about is that it run's RDSS well.

thanks for the help
Tom


Make sure that you get one with Win 10. A lot of people still don't want Win 10. When I bought mine, they had the same model with either Win 10 or Win 8.1 in stock.

Hoof 11 05-30-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 104144)
Make sure that you get one with Win 10. A lot of people still don't want Win 10. When I bought mine, they had the same model with either Win 10 or Win 8.1 in stock.

Either way, it's a free upgrade to Windows 10 until July 29/16. My tablet is running 8.1 and it runs flawlessly, i'm afraid to upgrade for fear of botching things up, but i am curious.

turtleman 05-30-2016 02:32 PM

Thanks guys
I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that RDSS doesn't take a lot of horse power. been checking on line and there appears to be lots of options to choose from.


Cheers
Tom:)

MikeB 05-30-2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoof 11 (Post 104150)
Either way, it's a free upgrade to Windows 10 until July 29/16. My tablet is running 8.1 and it runs flawlessly, i'm afraid to upgrade for fear of botching things up, but i am curious.

I upgraded my desk top from 8.1 to 10 without a glitch. I like the interface better. Even better, if you left click the Win 10 icon at the bottom left corner, you get the Win 10 start menu. If you right click it, you get something very close to the Win 7 start menu.

mick 05-31-2016 12:46 PM

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns
 
Regarding Windows 10, if you have privacy concerns, this article might be of some interest:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html

I use Linux on my everyday machine, but I have a Lenovo Edge laptop running Windows 7 and it has given me good service.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.