Pace and Cap  - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up

Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up (http://paceandcap.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://paceandcap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Win Place and Show wagers (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14910)

stormbringer 05-31-2022 11:52 AM

Win Place and Show wagers

Does anyone know of a book or a paper on a GOOD on WPS strategy?

Thanks

MJS6916 05-31-2022 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormbringer (Post 145533)

Thanks

RDSS users have spoken well of Sartin's "55% Solution"

I haven't read the book yet.

Mike

Tim Y 05-31-2022 02:42 PM

Sartin was quoted often to say, if the win odds are 9/2 or better, a place bet is a good move. I would DOUBLE the wager to place myself in that situation.

DanBoals 05-31-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormbringer (Post 145533)

Thanks

From what I understood from Howard, if one of your selections is over a certain odds, I can't remember the exact odds he told me, I want to say like 6-1 or something, but the idea is that you make your win bet on the longer odds horse, then you make a place bet of the same amount on that horse. He told me enough of these longer odds horses place that it is worth the bet. I typically bet exactas, so I do not make specific place bets.

I have known a couple of people that make show and sometimes place bets, and the ones that seem to be the most successful with the show bets use the parlay method over the course of a day. So they will pick 5 or 6 races off the card where they are pretty confident in a horse, then when the race comes up, if the horse is ok odds, like 2-1 or 3-1 or more, they will make their itm bet. They will then take the winnings and use that to bet on the next race. And so on. They either end up with nothing, or if the day goes well, end up with 3 to 5 times their starting money. I am not really into this type of betting, but some people like it and if they are successful with it, good for them.

stormbringer 06-01-2022 06:00 AM

Thanks, that helps I have a friend who bets WPS and I’m looking for a book about WPS money management
Thanks to all!!

gandalf380 06-01-2022 08:09 PM

FYI. the book 55% solution deals with exactas.

rdiam 06-02-2022 11:42 AM

I would recommend the following:

Bet Smart, Win Big by Prentice Mannetter

Money Secrets at the Racetrack by Barry Meadow

Horse Racing Logic by Glendon Jones

Beat the Racetrack by William Ziemba

Basically, you should strive to have any bet you make show positive expected value. These books explain this concept in more detail.

Regarding place and show bets, the Ziemba book describes how to look for place and show overlays relative to win odds. Most of the time perceived overlays are arbitraged out by the time the odds are final.

Also, you are better off playing exactas on high odds horses rather than betting them to place and show. Reason: when a low priced favorite wins and your high odds horse places or shows, your payoff is dramatically affected, made even worse by breakage. Much better to use them underneath in exactas.

Bottom line, you need to overcome a roughly 20% takeout betting WPS. The betting public needs to make a significant mistake betting someone other than your horse (or horses) in order to achieve +EV. Good luck.

Richard

cdax 06-11-2022 08:36 PM

On occasion I will play a Win/Insurance wager I stumbled across online somewhere. If the horse i like is at least 5-1 (preferably higher) I would wager $2 win, $4 place and $12 to show. If the selection only shows and pays at least $3 you break even.

gandalf380 06-11-2022 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdax (Post 145695)
On occasion I will play a Win/Insurance wager I stumbled across online somewhere. If the horse i like is at least 5-1 (preferably higher) I would wager $2 win, $4 place and $12 to show. If the selection only shows and pays at least $3 you break even.

That is something similar to what Howard used to say.

MJS6916 06-12-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gandalf380 (Post 145562)
FYI. the book 55% solution deals with exactas.

Correct. Thank you. Just read the book. :)