Pace and Cap  - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up

Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up (http://paceandcap.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://paceandcap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When Race Fractions are Missing (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12057)

SouthSideRob 01-24-2019 08:22 PM

When Race Fractions are Missing

Hi Everybody,

My apologies up front if this has already been discussed in another thread. I did try and search for it and came up empty. (If there is a thread out there, please let me know and I understand if you want to delete this thread).

My question is how do you handle a race that are missing race fractions? Some of the smaller tracks never seem to have them. Other tracks have malfunctions or they have to deal with poor viability issues such as fog etc...

Do you use past data as somewhat of a guide and "project" the fractions? I don't like to ignore these races especially for races with younger horses.

What do most people do in these situations? I'm a huge fan of the Sartin Methodology and I've never been able to figure out the best way to handle races with no fractional times.

Thanks,

South Side Rob

Mitch44 01-24-2019 08:44 PM

Hello Rob,

These races can not be used to select a pace line as it won't rate it. It should be totally ignored and go to the next race.

Follow Sartin guidelines of using the best of the last races at a comparable surface and distance. Distance within 1 furlong of todays distance. I interchange sloppy tracks and synthetics tracks for turf races but only if the horse doesn't have 3 turf races.

The only value from a race with no internal fraction and or positions(fog) is if the horse finished in the top 3 which somewhat vaguely says it can get the distance. Even better if it won as it proves both the distance and that it is a winner.

Mitch44

Jeebs 01-25-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthSideRob (Post 119208)
Hi Everybody,

My apologies up front if this has already been discussed in another thread. I did try and search for it and came up empty. (If there is a thread out there, please let me know and I understand if you want to delete this thread).

My question is how do you handle a race that are missing race fractions? Some of the smaller tracks never seem to have them. Other tracks have malfunctions or they have to deal with poor viability issues such as fog etc...

Do you use past data as somewhat of a guide and "project" the fractions? I don't like to ignore these races especially for races with younger horses.

What do most people do in these situations? I'm a huge fan of the Sartin Methodology and I've never been able to figure out the best way to handle races with no fractional times.

Thanks,

South Side Rob

Hi Rob,

I would follow Mitch's advice to find a different line. "Incomplete" pacelines are problematic in the first month or so of Remington Park's meet, because several runners are coming out of races from tiny Fair Meadows Tulsa, which does not keep fractional times. You're basically stuck using a line from another venue. If you were to use RDSS in "auto mode" (Ted's default Best Perceptor, Last 3 Comparable), only making changes when the computer's brain fails horse racing logic, this will take care of itself. If you are into selecting your own lines by whichever set of guidelines you choose to align yourself with, you may be splitting hairs. Be careful.